Monday, October 12, 2009

Newspaper Interview


I was interviewed by the local weekly paper and got a pretty big article. Here is the original link, and the google translation. It's a little jagged, but you can get the idea. And since I was speaking through an interpreter there's some misquotations, but all in all, it's pretty cool.

*edit* Here is a better translation, done by one of our technical directors. Read it instead of what's below.

In Cherkassy volleyball team serves American mathematician

For the first time in the history of Ukrainian Cherkasy volleyball team plays an American.


25-year-old native of California, Matthew Reynolds, by profession a teacher of mathematics, donned uniform Impeksahro Sports Cherkasy "shortly before the new season. In an interview with Press Center player shared his impressions about Ukraine and Cherkassy, which he did not present to hear about the game in the team and answering questions about privacy.


- Matthew, say, where previously played and why chose Cherkasky volleyball club?

- Before traveling to Ukraine, I played four years at the university volleyball team, two for the amateur teams, and two years for the club of Denmark. My agent offered me two options - Ukraine and Austria. By comparing the clubs, I prefer it Cherkassy team that was distinguished by a remarkable professional and friendly atmosphere.


- The Ukrainian volleyball is different from American?

- Compare almost no other, as in the U.S. volleyball hardly developed, except at the level of student. And the volleyball players of Denmark, except sporting career, working in parallel, such as factories or offices. In Ukraine there is to professionally deal with this sport.


- Matthew, you have at home is very well developed, basketball, baseball and american football. Why did you choose Volleyball?

- I tried many sports, particularly basketball, golf, American football. But when I met volleyball, he loved this game, although it is not so popular in America. I even coached youth amateur American team.


- You came to Cherkassy club when the team was already fully staffed. Is it difficult to join in the team?

- First, I was hard in the sports sense, because before coming here I have not trained for some time, but the team already has a strong physical training. But beyond the volleyball court did not have any problems, however, all were very supportive to me.


- Could such a short time to get acquainted with Cherkassy?

- When I was driving to you, you do not know anything about Odessa and Ukraine, only seen some pictures online. And when arrived, almost a week studying the city. I was very impressed by the many bazaars and parks.


- How to overcome the language barrier, or to teach Ukrainian, Russian?

- This helps me to dictionaries. And I now live with their mates Zhumatiyem Alexander, who learn Russian and Ukrainian, and he with me in English. So slowly and become proficient in the language.


- Do you like Ukrainian food? Do not miss the U.S.?

- I tasted Ukrainian borscht, dumplings, potato pancakes and many dishes whose names are not remembered. It is like herring, this is no America. So while I am in Ukraine, I will enjoy the cuisine. And if you want American food is, in Yalta, too, can buy a hamburger or pizza.


- Do you have a wife or a girl? Do you like Ukrainian girls?

- I am single and have no girl. And the beauty of Ukrainian women I heard when driving here, and this rumor proved to 100%.


- How did the transition in Cherkassy club your family?

- Mother is very happy for me. However, I have not seen them already a long time and miss their parents and younger sister. We communicate by email. On New Year's Day I hope the trip home.

Number 8 - Matthew Reynolds

Position: setter

Height: 190 cm

Weight: 75 kg.

Came from America, California.

Marital status: single.

Date of Birth: 26/02/1984.


By: Anna OSTAPCIUC

4 comments:

Max said...

I know this man!

Jeannie said...

Your star is shining so bright, I think I need my sunglasses!

Anonymous said...

good, your english is getting better

anya said...

MET, thank you posted my article on your blog)
Anya